BEYOND BETHANY – CITY SERVE 2020
We missed serving with our Bethany family at our annual Beyond Bethany church-wide service day due to COVID-19, but we are excited to join with churches across Omaha in serving our community through CITY SERVE.
There are several options around the community, at Bethany, or from your own home. You can choose to serve at as many projects as you choose. All community service opportunities will observe CDC guidelines of masks and social distancing.
Community Serving Options
LUTHERAN WORLD RELIEF KITS
Tuesday, Sept 22 | at Bethany
Lutheran World Relief puts faith into action by responding to the needs of people throughout the world. Help is provided to victims of disasters such as earthquakes, floods, famine and war through personal care kits, school kits, baby kits, fabric kits, and quilts. Join us at Bethany as we assemble kits of donated items to be packaged and sent all over the world to those in need. All ages are welcome. Kids age 10 and up can participate.
- 6-8 pm Assembling Kits (limit 20 people)
KIDS AGAINST HUNGER
Sunday, Sept 20 | at Bethany
Kids Against Hunger packages and distributes highly nutritious dry food packets that are distributed around the world through feeding programs, orphanages, schools, and clinics and also locally through food pantries and food banks. Volunteers will come to Bethany and work together to assemble and pack these dry food packets. All ages are welcome. Kids age 5 and up can participate. There are four shifts to choose from:
- Noon – 1 pm Setup (limit 6 people)
- 1 – 2:30 pm Assembling Food Packets (limit 32 people)
- 3 – 4:30 pm Assembling Food Packets (limit 32 people)
- 5 – 6:30 pm Assembling Food Packets (limit 32 people)
Wednesday, Sept 23 & Sunday, Sept 26 | Offsite
Abide is revitalizing the inner-city one neighborhood at a time with a holistic approach focusing on developing stronger families, safer neighborhoods, and emerging leaders. You will serve in the North Omaha community. All ages can participate
- Wednesday from 1 – 5 pm: Paint Exterior of Grand Street Lighthouse in North Omaha
- Saturday from 9 am – 12 pm: Clean Up Neighborhoods in North Omaha
KING LAKE FLOOD RELIEF
Saturday, Sept 26 | Offsite
We will partner with Omaha Rapid Response to help residents of King Lake who were devastated by last spring’s flooding get back in their homes. Handy volunteers will work on houses and unskilled volunteers will work on outdoor clean up. Volunteers must be 13 years old or older and anyone under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Adults and kids age 10 and up can participate. There will be three shifts to choose from:
- 8:30 am – Noon
- Noon – 4 pm
- 8:30 am – 4 pm
Independent Service Opportunities
Throughout the week you, your family, small group, friends, and/or neighbors can spread the light of Christ in our community by participating in the following projects right from your own home. Purchase supplies and create the items at home and then bring them to the Bethany Church Office anytime during the week of September 21 – September 25 between 8:30 am – 4:30 pm or you can bring them to the Mission Hub on Sunday, September 27, from 9 am – 11:30 am.
Create cards of appreciation for first responders – local firefighters and law enforcement officers; Or create greeting cards for the residents of the Life Care Center of Elkhorn. Pick up blank cards from the Mission Hub at Bethany on Sept 20.
OPEN DOOR MISSION
- Crochet Plastic Bag Mats: Grab the extra plastic bags you have lying around and use them to crochet a plastic mat for the homeless sleeping on the streets.
- Hygiene Kits: Fill a clear plastic resealable bag with travel-sized items including tissue pack, toothbrush, toothpaste, 7″ comb, deodorant, double blade razor, shampoo, shower gel, shaving cream.
- Inspirational Cards: Create an inspirational card to a man, woman, or child going through a dark time. Decorate each card with inspirational quotes, drawings, and scripture.
- Jars of Sunshine: Make a jar full of sunshine to a man, woman, or child going through a dark place. Each one includes yellow slips of paper with motivational quotes or Bible verses and pieces of candy in yellow wrappers (Butterfingers, Dots, Laffy Taffy, Mr. Goodbar, Peanut M&M’s, Sour Patch Kids, Lemonheads, etc.).
- Pray for those in our community going through a dark time.
Make a basket to show our teachers who much we care about them and appreciate what they do for the kids in our community. Baskets include: fine tip colored sharpies / colored pens, snacks, paper clips, mints, sticky notes, gum, hand lotion, a note/prayer card.
COPE BIRTHDAY BOXES
Create a fun birthday box/bag for kids. The boxes include: a cake mix, frosting, sprinkles, candles, streamers, napkins, plates and any fun decorations/items you would like to include to make it a special birthday. These will be donated to COPE – Christian Outreach Program of Elkhorn.
RESTOCK FOOD 4 KIDS PANTRY
Food 4 Kids is the backpack food program of Elkhorn providing weekend take-home meals and weekday snacks to hungry kids in our community. We need YOU to help restock our pantry. Choose “CLICK IT AND SHIP IT” when you online grocery shop at Costco, Sam’s, local grocery stores or Amazon; or have food sent directly to Bethany (4200 N 204th St, Elkhorn, NE 68022.) You may also drop off donations at the church. We need:
- mac ‘n cheese cups
- pasta cups
- pop-top soup,
- ramen noodles,
- breakfast bars,
- individual cereal boxes,
- fruit cups
- apple sauce
- individually packaged snacks and cookies
- slim jim meat sticks